Christ the Saviour Seminary
Welcome To Christ The Saviour Seminary
Christ the Saviour Seminary was founded in 1940 largely through the efforts and vision of Metropolitan Orestes P. Chornock, first bishop of the American Carpatho- Russian Orthodox Diocese. The school was originally opened in the St. Nicholas parish complex on Tenth Street in New York City. Later, classes were conducted for a brief time in Nicholson, PA. A major move took place in 1941 when ten seminarians resided and studied in Metropolitan Orestes' Mill Hill Avenue property in Bridgeport, CT. In 1951 the diocese acquired the Strayer Mansion, a landmark in the Morrellville section of Johnstown.
Christ the Saviour Seminary, has two missions. First, it exists for the education and training of Orthodox men for the priesthood of the Orthodox Church, stimulating them to grow intellectually, morally and spiritually, and inspiring them to love and serve God and the Orthodox Church .
Second, the seminary provides a theological and spiritual formation in an Orthodox academic atmosphere for men interested in growth in the Orthodox Christian tradition, whether or not the individual is working toward an ordained ministry in the Orthodox Church.
On July 1, 1960, the Seminary was approved by the Pennsylvania State Council of Education and chartered to grant a Bachelor of Theology degree. (Read More...)