2011 National Convention Summary
The following is a recap of the most important information that was discussed and decided upon that you need to know at the 2011 National ACRY Convention in Homestead, PA.
Webpage: The National Jr. ACRY Website has made great progress. Almost all of the forms needed throughout the year are available on this page, along with information on how to start and maintain a chapter. New sections of the page are being developed as well. If you need any forms or to contact a member of the board, the website is the best place to find this information.
Mission Project: Due to many large donations that have been made by other groups and people to the orphanage in Slovakia, the Jr. ACRY has decided to set its sights back on St. John the Compassionate Mission in Toronto, Canada. The Mission is a part of our Diocese and does amazing outreach work in the community. The Jr. ACRY is hoping to organize another trip to volunteer at the Mission for a few days.
Standing Donations: Once again this year, the Jr. ACRY will donate $100 to: International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC), Christ the Saviour Seminary, and The Metropolitan Nicholas Philanthropic Scholarship. $200 will once again be donated to: Camp Nazareth and the Pani Jeanette Moriak Memorial Scholarship. The delegation also decided to start donating $100 each year to the Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF).
Camp Encounter 2011: The Encounter will be held at Camp Nazareth from November 11th – 13th. The cost of the weekend will be $65, due to a generous donation from the Jr. ACRY of $1,000 to offset the cost of the weekend. Registration forms were sent out to each parish in the 1st mailing. Forms are also available on the Jr. website. Reservation deadline is October 31st.
Pass-the-Hat: Each year, a hat is passed around the room during the business session on Saturday to collect donations. This year, the Jr. ACRY decided to donate the pass-the-hat money to the Manville, NJ and Rahway, NJ parishes who were hit hard by hurricane Irene. $64 will be donated to Manville and $32 to Rahway.
DDD: For the first time, the Jr. ACRY decided to donate $100 to the Distinguished Diocesan Donors (DDD) Program to become an entry level member.
- President: Tim Paproski #23 Stratford
- Vice President: Anastasia Koss #30 Phoenixville
- Corresponding Secretary: Sophia Timko #4 New York City
- Financial Secretary: Alyssa Waryanka #10 Sharon
- Treasurer: Kyra Leasure #21 Taylor
- Publicity Director: Cassandra Eddy #34 Elizabeth
- Sergeant-at-Arms: John Puzakulics #40 Binghamton
- Auditor #1: Paul Zdinak #13 Windber
- Auditor #2: Jessica Pak #34 Elizabeth
- National Sr. ACRY Vice President: Amy Coffman
- National Jr. Appointed Advisor: Rachel Pribish
- National Jr. Spiritual Advisor: Very. Rev. Fr. Miles Zdinak
Awards & Scholarships: At the Grand Banquet, various award and scholarship winners were announced. Congratulations to all of the winners!
- Chapter Achievement Award: #25 Potomac
- Advisor of the Year: Debbie Samilenko #23 Stratford
- Bishop John Memorial Scholarship: Joanna Puzakulics #40 Binghamton, Mike Kowal #23 Cheektowaga, Angela Sudik #25 Potomac
- Pani Jeanette Moriak Memorial Scholarship: Joanna Puzakulics #40 Binghamton
- Mr. and Miss Jr. ACRY: Tim Paproski #23 Stratford and Anastasia Koss #30 Phoenixville