North and Central American Episcopal Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops Concludes
NEW YORK – The first Episcopal Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Hierarchs in North and Central America, convened on Wednesday May 26, 2010 by His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios of America at the Helmsley Park Lane Hotel in New York City, concluded today with the celebration of Divine Liturgy at the Greek Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity. 55 Orthodox Hierarchs, including His Eminence, Metropolitan Nicholas participated in this historic gathering.
At their gathering, and in accordance with the rules of operation of Episcopal Assemblies promulgated by the Fourth Pan-Orthodox Pre-Conciliar Conference, the Hierarchs established the following:
1. A registry of canonical bishops (Article 6.1)
2. A committee to determine the canonical status of local communities in the region that have no reference to the Most Holy Autocephalous Churches (Article 6.2)
3. A registry of canonical clergy (Article 6.3)
4. Committees to undertake the work of the Assembly, among others including liturgical, pastoral,financial, educational, ecumenical, and legal issues (Articles 11 and 12)
5. A committee to plan for the organization of the Orthodox of the region on a canonical basis (Article 5.1).
In addition to the above, they agreed that a directory would be created and maintained by the Assembly of all canonical congregations in the region. The members of the Episcopal Assembly affirmed that they are the successors of the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas (SCOBA), assuming its agencies, dialogues, and other ministries.
Read the Official Communique of the Episcopal Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Hierarchs in North and Central America
Read the Address of His Eminence, Archbishop Demetrios
Read the Address of Archbishop Justinian, Administrator of Moscow Patriarchal Parishes in the USA
Read the Address of Metropolitan Philip of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese
Read the Address of Archbishop Nicolae of the Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese in America
View Photo Gallery
(Photos Courtesy of D. Panagos, GOA)